The 2014-15 school year is off and running. Last year, we had a lot of staff changes at W-M. This year, we have had only one staffing change and that is the addition of Mr. Steve Boniface as our 7-12 band instructor. We will be sharing Mr. Boniface with the Bessemer School District and we are excited to have him with us.
The building repair and renovation projects scheduled for this summer got off to a slower start than expected so there will be some work done as we open the doors for classes. The roof drain project will affect the parking lot for a while but we will notify everyone if traffic patterns through the lot will need to be adjusted while the project is completed.
We are renovating half of the library into a second computer lab. That project will be close to completion on opening day but probably not quite finished. The new lab will be a Chrome Book lab and the 3rd floor lab will continue as the PC lab.
A few reminders as we start a new year:
• Be sure to log on to Power School to check your students' grades and lunch account balances. Parents, you can set up Power School to email you with notifications for both grades and lunch accounts. If you need technical assistance, don't hesitate to contact Mel Saubert in the school office.
• Student handbooks will be on the website by Sept. 2, 2014, on the right hand side of the home page. Please take a moment to go through the handbook. For Jr./Sr. High School parents, please print and sign the agreement at the end of the handbook and send it to the office. Printed copies of the handbooks are available in the school office.
• The annual notices are on the website. As parents, you have the right to have your student's information kept private and a "do not publish" right to make sure the school does not publish your child's picture with name. If you wish to invoke those rights, please send a letter to the school stating that you do not want your child's directory information and/or picture published without your prior written consent. Information on this notification is on the website under the tab "Annual Notices".
• Students in grades 6 – 12 may, with parental consent, participate in virtual learning opportunities, that is "on-line" coursework. Enrollment in such classes must be requested during the preceding semester. Further information may be obtained by contacting the guidance office during regular school hours.
• High school students may participate in "dual enrollment" courses. These are classes offered by a post-secondary institution that are taken for both high school and college credit. Wakefield-Marenisco High School provides dual enrollment through Gogebic Community College. For further information, please contact Mr. Lane in the Guidance office.
It always seems, as we start the month of September, that the school year stretches out ahead of us forever, no end in sight. But before we know it, it will be spring—hopefully without 10+ weather/snow days—and another year will be in the books. Come join us for our school activities, enjoy the school year with our students and staff. There is plenty to do and we look forward to seeing all of you throughout the year.